Thursday, October 25, 2012

Inviting Christ Into Your Life





Here's the outline for a recent talk I gave in Sacrament Meeting (Oct. 21st) for our Meet the Mormon's Day. I was invited to talk on "Inviting Christ into Your Life."
 

Any of you who know me and my amazing wife Laura have probably wondered: “What did he do to get her to attach herself to him in marriage; and how does he get her to stay with him?”
Well, I think that is a great question and one that deserves addressing.
Here’s how I did it; you might want to take notes: J (these will probably sound familiar to those of you who are married because you probably did the same things to build your relationship with your spouse)

You really only need 8 things:
1)      A Calendar: I let her know that I was available and interested (made time and room for the relationship). And then I asked her for a date. I let her know how long I had in town before I would leave for college, etc.
2)      A Heart: I started to trust her more and more and share more and more of ‘the real me’ with her (faith)
3)      Ears: I had long, serious talks with her where I did a lot of listening (prayer)
4)      A Watch: I would try to spend as much time with her as possible. (thinking of Him, keeping His Spirit near)
5)      Eyes: I would study her and diligently try to change things about myself that were unattractive to her, i.e. the walk around the lake, the “let’s not kiss yet” talk (scripture, repentance, unselfishness)
6)      A Rose: I constantly would strive to put her wishes above my own, i.e. the rose in the glove box; not riding a street bike, etc. (service & obedience)
7)      A Voice: I accepted her proposals, I committed and don’t look back (baptism, temple, etc.)
8)      A Brain: I know that if these things are not repeated constantly the relationship will be damaged. (endure joyfully to the end)

*But remember: We do not need to be perfect, no spouse is, but WE CAN BE FAITHFUL!

Now, the most important relationships in my life and throughout all eternity is not my relationship with my spouse; that relationship is a close 2nd to the one that matters even more:

“For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.” (Isaiah 54:5)

My relationship with My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is my #1 relationship.

But, I have come to learn that at least one reason why The Lord’s plan has marriage at the very heart of it is because the principles that initiate and maintain a strong, intimate, and lasting marriage relationship are the exact same principles that initiate and maintain a strong, intimate, and lasting relationship with Jesus.

So, as important as that question about my wife was, here’s one that is even more critical: “Travis, how did you get The Savior to attach Himself to you in solemn covenant; and how do you get Him to stay with you?”
Well, here’s how I did it; you might want to take notes: J(these will probably sound familiar to those of you who are already “married” to The Lord, because you probably did the same things to build your relationship with Him)
You really only need 8 things:
A Calendar,  A Heart,  Ears,  A Watch,  Eyes,  A Rose,  A Voice, and A Brain.

1)      Calendar: I let HIM know that I was available and interested (made time and room for the relationship). And then I asked HIM for “a date” (church meetings, etc). I let HIM know what I was willing to give HIM (which wasn’t much at first), but it was a start.  ­­Alma 32:26-27

“Now, as I said concerning faith—that it was not a perfect knowledge—even so it is with my words.  Ye cannot know of their surety at first, unto perfection, any more than faith is a perfect knowledge.
But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words.”

Think on the times when you have felt something, when you just KNEW something that you cannot explain.

2)      A Heart: I started to trust HIM more and more and share more and more of ‘the real me’ with HIM (Faith) Proverbs 3:5 - 7

5  ¶ Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
7  ¶ Be not wise in thine own eyes:

“God has not been trying an experiment on my faith or love in order to find out their quality. He knew it already. It was I who didn't… He always knew that my temple was a house of cards. His only way of making me realize the fact was to knock it down.”  (C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed)

3)      Ears: I had long, serious talks with HIM where I did a lot of listening (prayer)
Enos 1:2-8

2 And I will tell you of the wrestle which I had before God, before I received a remission of my sins.
3  Behold, I went to hunt beasts in the forests; and the words which I had often heard my father speak concerning eternal life, and the joy of the saints, sunk deep into my heart.
4  And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens.
5  And there came a voice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed.
6  And I, Enos, knew that God could not lie; wherefore, my guilt was swept away.
7  And I said: Lord, how is it done?
8  And he said unto me: Because of thy faith in Christ, whom thou hast never before heard nor seen.


4)      A Watch: I would try to spend as much time with HIM as possible. (thinking of Him, keeping His Spirit near) Luke 10:40 – 42

40  But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone?  bid her therefore that she help me.
41  And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
42  But one thing is needful (coming to Christ): and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

5)      Eyes: I would study HIM and diligently try to change things about myself that were unattractive to HIM, i.e. the walk around the lake, the “let’s not kiss yet” talk, i.e. let’s not do anything that will interfere or confuse this relationship (scripture, repentance, unselfishness) Alma 36:17 – 21

17  And it came to pass that as I was thus racked with torment, while I was harrowed up by the memory of my many sins, behold, I remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world.
18  Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death.
19  And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.
20  And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain!
21  Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains.  Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy.


6)      A Rose: I constantly would strive to put HIS wishes above my own, i.e. the rose in the glove box (service & obedience) How do we know HIS will?

(Amos 3:7 )7  Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

(Luke 1:76 - 78) 76  And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: for thou shalt go before the face of the Lord to prepare his ways;
77  To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins,
78  Through the tender mercy of our God;

(Luke 7:27) 27  [Jesus Said] This is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.
And the Lord has spoken in our day “Wherefore, I the Lord, knowing the calamity which should come upon the inhabitants of the earth, called upon my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., and spake unto him from heaven, and gave him commandments;  18  And also gave commandments to others, that they should proclaim these things unto the world  (D&C 1:17-18)

I love Joseph Smith and the other prophets God has called since him, just like God’s people loved Moses and Abraham and Peter in their day; not because of the man himself, but because they reveal Jesus Christ to me and help me know HIM better.

7)      A Voice: I accepted HIS proposals, I committed and don’t look back (baptism, temple, etc.)
(Isaiah 1:18 - 19) 18  Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
19  If ye be willing and obedient, [not ‘perfect’ thank goodness]

(Romans 5:6 - 11) 6  For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
8  But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
9  Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
11  And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement. [ AT – ONE – MENT]
 I know that Jesus Christ not only will make up any difference in the end, but that he makes all the difference right now.

8)      A Brain: I know that if these things are not repeated constantly the relationship will be damaged. (endure joyfully to the end)

(2 Nephi 31:19 - 21)  19  And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done?  Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save.
20  Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men.  Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.
21  And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God.

So, the best “Marital Advice” I can give? Make your spouse (Christ) the center of your life!
Make room for Him at the center, like the bulls eye of a target.  Surround that relationship with strong family relationships, good friends, honest work, uplifting recreation, etc.

Satan is doing all he can to nudge Jesus out of that center spot in our lives by introducing other things that vie for our attention. Some might be evil, but most often they are just distracting; either way, if I give them priority over my relationship with my ‘spouse’ (Jesus), my ‘marriage’ and MY WHOLE LIFE will be in trouble. As living prophets have taught, “if we do not choose the kingdom of God first, it will make little difference in the long run what we have chosen instead of it.”

But, Jesus Christ has restored His church to help us keep Him at the center…
He has given revelation to prophets as He did in the past to help us keep Him at the center…
He has given us ancient and modern scripture to help us keep Him at the center…
He has restored His priesthood authority and has given us baptism, the holy sacrament, and the family  ordinances of the temple to help us keep Him at the center…
And most importantly, Jesus Christ has given us himself, the living, breathing, healing, redeeming Son of God to help us keep Him at the center.
(John 14:18 - 19) 18  I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
19  Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

Jesus loves us more than any husband ever loved any wife! He will accept our mediocre performance and offering even when it is far less than what I would like to give Him in my heart of hearts. He loves us enough to help us work through the challenge of becoming like Him. He knows how hard it is for us, and is eternally loving and patient with me.

We do not need to be perfect, no spouse is, but WE CAN BE FAITHFUL!

No comments:

Post a Comment