Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Elder & Sister Bednar
I witnessed the most incredible classroom teaching I believe I have ever seen in my life on Sunday! Elder & Sister Bednar visited our ward (their son is a member of our ward and his daughter was baptized this past weekend). The Bednars spoke in sacrament meeting, and among other things, called us to repentance for not being reverent as we prepare for sacrament meeting. It made me sad to think about what they might have taught us had we been been more reverent in preparation for the meeting. Emma and the rest of the youth had a special meeting with the Bednars during the 2nd hour where he allowed them to ask questions and he discussed things with them. One great reminder he gave was that when we are trying to help reactivate friends and family members, that we need to focus on "the pearl" (the amazing doctrines of the gospel?) and not "the box" (traditions, practices, and people in the church?). Then it was Laura and I who were treated to a special meeting with the Bednar's. The meeting was just for the parents of the youth. Many great things were asked, explained and discussed, but to me it was just watching Elder Bednar teach that was the real treat. It was poetry! It was a perfect model of student centered teaching, and teaching by The Spirit. Oh that I could be such a teacher someday! As mentioned in his book, Elder Bednar taught us all the vast and important difference between being "an agent who acts", and being "an object that is acted upon". The choice is totally up to us, but the results of that choice are the difference between Eternal Life and death. I know by the personal witness of The Spirit this past weekend that Elder Bednar is a prophet, seer, and revelator, and a special witness of The Living Lord Jesus Christ.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm so jealous! I have also noticed what a great teacher Elder Bednar is when I hear him on The Mormon Channel.
ReplyDelete